Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Eyes on the Conductor

The powerful sound that vibrates around the room when the arms of the conductor accents the down beat for the full orchestra’s entrance has an effect on its listeners that no other experience can imitate. The clash of the cymbals, the flutters of the flutes, the fanfare of the trumpets, the majestic resonance of the French horns, the swimming harmonies of the strings all work together to create a moment of beauty and splendor that sparks a vision that only music can instill.

Words cannot express the honor and joy it is to create music!

When I think of music, I feel it molding into different shapes and colors all around me. It’s an unseen mystery that fills its listeners with joy, excitement, and delight that nothing in this world can recreate.
Personally, everyday I experience music in a different way. Today, I can honestly say I see music in a different light than I’ve ever seen before. It started off in orchestra rehearsal. As I was sitting in the viola section looking around before rehearsal started, I saw people all around me of different races, shapes, and personalities. They each pulled out their instruments and situated themselves in their sections.
When the conductor gave the signal for rehearsal to begin, all the musicians quieted their instruments and focused their eyes on the podium. After tuning, the art of music making began.
The conductor raised her baton and then released the first downbeat of the music. Like rays of the sun that cut through the morning dawn, her baton split the silence in the air as the orchestra gave birth to beauty. As they all moved along together in this unique experience of creating art in the atmosphere, the eyes of the musicians were constantly focusing on to the conductor to ensure that they were producing the sound the conductor was asking for in their way of expressing. When the conductor lifted her arms high, swaying them in a large pattern, the ensemble immediately grew in sound and matched the desired articulation that she expressed. Whenever the expression in her face would change, our playing would imitate it. Without using words, the conductor can communicate to the musicians on a personal level and to the ensemble as a whole. This fascinates me in such a way that I cannot express.

My perspective is that life itself *is* the symphony. I see myself as the instrument channeling music throughout this lifetime. And of course, the One who has orchestrated my score and conducts my every beat, my every dynamic, and my every note is none other than the Perfect Musician who Himself gifted us with the art of Music. Whenever He says “Stay quiet at this moment,” I follow His lead. Whenever He expresses to me to grow, I follow His direction. Whenever His tempo says to go faster, I keep focused to follow His timing.
We all have a part to play in this symphony. We all have a written score to perform. And we all have the same Conductor to follow. Life is a symphony that has already been orchestrated for you.

Just remember to keep your eyes on the Conductor.


"Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet; 
Praise Him with the lute and harp! 
Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; 
Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!
Praise Him with loud cymbals; 
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!
Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!"
- Psalm 150:3-6

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! So awesome! You painted such a vivid picture in mind with the beautifully selected words that you used. UGH, so so so good! It's just amazing the way God shows people things and how it all ties back to Him, He is beyond what we can imagine and so beyond amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is so true, sis! Beautiful. I am ready to give my life to God to be conducted by Him. My eyes are for Him.

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete